Monday, January 18, 2010

So I Married a Paleontologist

I find her sobbing in a ball
outside her wardrobe doors.
"What troubles you, Mariska, dear?"
I step near to soothe and yet still she
does not move, save to slowly
part the portals ever slight
and peer inside with one wary jade
eye, alarmed, as if what is contained
may attempt perilous escape.

Her lips separate at last, yet barely
vibrate as she forms the words.
"I cannot hide them all," she whispers,
"They are many, they are strong;
I am small. I must bar this door
and bar it soon, buy a lock, melt
the key, erase the combination
from my memories. Never
ask the contents, Joseph, please."

I let her ramble onward, as she knows
not what she speaks, then grasp
her firmly in my arms, lift and
lay her on her mattresses, then kiss her
tear-slick cheek. I pause
to stretch. My knuckles crack.
My fingers pop. I stride with purpose
to her wardrobe doors. I fling
them wide and wait until my eyes adjust.

Dust motes bend on currents like
corpse-bound wakes of buzzards.
Behind draped blankets, shawls,
hooded sweatshirts, scarves,
and stacks of boots and shoeboxes,
knobs of bones protrude. "Silly girl,"
I say, "I see nothing but your teaching kits,
to introduce your kids to paleontology."

A Mr. Thrifty dangles from a pole,
every piece of plaster labeled, from cranium
and sternum to pelvis and metatarsals.
A miniature sabre-toothed tiger's remains,
plastic, yellowed from age,
stalks faded antique picture frames.
I feel a smirk appear as I spy the aids
and clothes - a prank to play now formulates.

The skeleton I adorn in offbeat fashion,
a football helmet and padded brassiere,
thick glasses and a camo jacket. The tiger's
paws fit boxing gloves and knitted mittens.
Underneath a baseball cap, his sabres spear
a cigarette. My work complete, I drag
them right behind the wardrobe doors.

I close them softly, turn and smile. "You may
hate me for awhile, but you'll laugh at them
one day, and push them gently to the side."
Expecting questions and a scream to rise,
I seek a quiet place to hide and wait.
Exiting, I hear she moans and snores, no doubt
twitching as she dreams of all those bones.


©2010 Richard Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!